Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lesson 1

My first lesson happened this morning. The professor said some nice things about me and my playing. She is not the type of person to regularly dish out praise and compliments, so that made me happy.

I was expecting to learn some some simple Etudes or Preludes by Chopin or Scarlatti, but she is starting me right off the bat with the third and final movement of Beethoven's Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13 "Pathetique" the Rondo Allegro.



She is also having me learn Bach's Prelude No. 21, BVW 866 (including the Fugue at the end):



I have to play these pieces for her next week.

In other news, I have recently discovered Maurice Ravel's piano works. I have heard some of his orchestral works, but not much on the piano. One song I have been sight-reading is "Pavane pour une infante defunte" for the piano. While browsing through YouTube trying to find more of his music, I came across this song, and immediately fell in love. It is the fourth and final movement, the Toccata from "Le Tombeau de Couperin":



I had to listen to that song multiple times to process its complexity, and once I did, It became one of my favorite pieces for the piano. I mentioned this to my teacher, and she wants me to play it at my senior recital four years from now.

4 comments:

Maria Nielson said...

All that makes me want to wet my pants :O

Carolina mama said...

I will come to your recital in four years, if that's what you're going to play.

The Yoder's Five said...

Ummmm....I haven't even listened to the clips but I think I will be having piano lesson nightmares tonight!

"Viel Glück!" (good luck in German)

annette6sons said...

Wow what a piece. I'll be there clapping as hard as your Mom. Sooo proud of you!