Lesson one threw me under the bus. Lesson two tore my brains out. I failed the first week of practice miserably. Part of it is because my teacher wanted me to learn music way above my current level, but mostly because I don't know how to practice. I told her I need structure and to know HOW to practice. If left to my own devices, I just plow through the piece without stopping, rather than learning the song one phrase at a time. It takes forever to learn a piece that way.
Lesson two taught me to be regimented and disciplined. Today I practiced for three hours (Beethoven's Pathetique is on hold for a long time) on two new pieces and one familiar one that are lower in skill level and more moderate. Couple doable pieces with a clear method to practice and, violá, progress.
Somewhere in this post there is a picture of a piano (I'm composing this post on my phone). It is located in the Eccles concert hall. The concert hall seats 300 or so, and is designed for un-amplified recitals. Nice, live acoustics. The piano is a Steinway concert D model from New York. It is a very powerful, bright sounding piano.
The concert hall is usually open and available to practice on. I have a few songs I have practiced enough to perform, but sitting at that piano in that concert hall, suddenly those songs seem petty and insignificant. I've got lots of improving to do.
My phone is about to die now and I need sleep.
3 comments:
I've felt that same way before in auditions/master classes with ballet. Suddenly you realize your "talent" could be improved by about 1,000 times.
I'm glad your teacher is letting you start a little more slowly. You'll be great before you know it.
Kevin, what a great blogg you have going. I enjoyed listening to the music. You're so clever to know how to put it all together! The music clips are a great addition. You can't imagine how proud I am of you for following your musical dreams. Keep up the great work! Lots of luck Mr. Talent!
I am so glad you know so many people who can introduce you to other key people.
I was super impressed when we were there on Saturday. I could hear you playing and it sounded SO GOOD! Good Luck with the lessons and balancing your time with work!
Post a Comment